Turn them into a skirt! (of course)
The pair that I used for this project were from 2004 and had been sitting unused for years. I had actually four pairs of trousers in the same situation. Three went to Oxfam because I didn’t think I could do anything with the fabric. But the last pair seemed to have potential.
I got started and I’m not sure why it ended up so short. I also couldn’t find a better way to join the legs together at the back and ended up bringing them in another size (the trousers were already snug).
The result? A short, tight skirt in brown and blue stripes (yes I did say they were from 2004). Back to the fabric dye. Two dying sessions later, yet another black skirt emerged!
I actually quite like it, but maybe need to balance the sexiness of the skirt with a more conservative top… What do you think?
This photo shows the construction better (and how tight it is?)
And, finally, the skirt on its own:
This is actually a little old. I bought it over the Christmas holidays and it saved me over the winter months. I’m not sure how much wear it’ll get in the summer, but anyway I love it and it has already seen me through many months and, doubt it’ll see me through next winter.
And me in the skirt:
I got my first leather jacket (with much fanfare as you might remember), but the problem I discovered was that it was a button-up leather jacket… who ever heard of a button up leather jacket!? (even Humanoid agreed and the next season they made the same leather jacket WITH a zipper)
Soooo I had a leather jacket with buttons, and I wanted a zipper…What to do?
Finally I decided to add one myself. I’m a bit embarrassed to say that I added a zipper to a Humanoid jacket, but sooo happy with the outcome :)
Because the leather is so delicate (I think it’s sheep’s leather), I sewed the zipper into the lining and I think it’ll keep the jackets’ shape - yay. A few more pics.
Before (super cool leather jacket with so much potential, but no zipper)
And then I added the (practical) zipper:
And, finally, a close up of the zipper:
This is a top I made from the left over fabric from this skirt. Basically, I cut out the largest rectangles I could from whatever was left and sewed the sides up, left part open for arm holes and then continued sewing at the top. No pattern involved. And the results:
It is nice and long, but it would be better with a bit more -ahem- width. Also the fabric is still quite sheer so I need to wear it over camisole.
( but honestly I can see myself wearing this- especially now that the weather has decided to turn warm!)